Friday, March 30, 2007

He lives!


Alfred Ackley was in the midst of a weeklong revival in 1934. Thirty minutes after the crowd had dispersed on the final night, Ackley was also getting ready to leave when a voice stopped him.

"I have to know something," a young man barked. "Why should I worship a dead Jew?"

For a moment he thought about how to answer, then he felt a sudden rush of energy and blurted out, "He lives! I tell you, he is not dead, but lives here and now!" The words that began Ackley's straightforward reply to the young man's question stuck with him throughout the night. Unable to sleep, unable to read, and unable even to pray, Ackley got up and found a piano. Within half an hour Ackley was singing, "He lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today, he walks with me, and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives! He lives! Salvation to impart; you ask me how I know he lives? He lives within my heart!"

No comments:

Followers