Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Friday!


I just returned from the state legislative breakfast sponsered by the Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce and Comcast. It was wonderful! Karen and I are representatives for Cross Current Community Church. Because we want to be a positive voice in our community we decided to join the chamber of commerce and get to know some of the business leaders in our community, and also get our name out there.
Breakfast was @ 7:15 am at the Crane Room. We walked in and were greeted by two Lawrence County Chamber of commerce board members.They gave us a name tag and welcomed us. There were about 15 tables, beautifully decorated with white tablecloths and red napkins, set up around the room as well as a long table at the front of the room for the State Legislaters and representatives.
Karen and I, chose a table close to the front and sat down. Within a few minutes, a man that I had met at a Toastmasters class, joined us. His name is Calvin Ray. He is a very well known leader in our community. Calvin and his wife Ruth are involved in many volunteer operations such as Habitat for Humanity, the Jameson Guild, and others. When I met them at Toastmasters, they impressed me because they were very well traveled and extremely social. They seemed to know a little about everything!!
Calvin remembered me, so it was easy to have a conversation with him. He also knew Karen's dad, so they had something to talk about as well.
Then a woman, named Barb sat down with us, and she was a supervisor for Neshannock School District. She asked many questions about our church. She seemed very interested. She is also involved in an organization that reaches out to people on highly addicted drugs. She is very concerned for this generation of children. She said there is a huge problem that needs to be taken care of.
AMEN! We know that! I wish I could have talken to her more, but we were called to go to the buffet line and get our breakfast.
Each table had it's own pitcher of Oranje juice, water and coffee. Breakfast was delicious. Scrambled Eggs, homefries, bacon and bagels. We talked and ate but rather quickly, it was time for the state representatives to speak.
Gerald lavelle, Bob Robbins, Michelle Brooks, Chris Sainato, Jared L..something. and Attorney General Jack Wagner each spoke for about 5-10 minutes. Then some people from the Chamber asked questions. It was a very informative event.
Many local politicians were in attendance, as well as representatives for non-profit organizations, and businesses in the community. I can't wait to attend the next event! I really enjoy meeting new people, and networking! It's a great place to network! Breakfast ended at 9:00 am!
Now, I will soon be taking Ally to work at the restaurant, and then I am meeting Janyse Cain for lunch. Janyse is the founder of Teen Fusion ministries, and the Freq 107 radio station, and she is also one of my Christian Women Leader role models! I love talking to her and listening to her wisdom and advice!
She is interested in helping out with Cross Current, and for that I am so appreciative.
Oh one more thing..what stuck in my mind the most from the breakfast...None of the politicians like the governor of pa!!! They all agreed on that!!
I hope you're having a wonderful day today. Make it special. Smile at someone! Do a random act of kindess. Make someone's day brighter!
Peace out! Susan

No comments:

Followers